Walk & Talk Therapy
What is Walk & Talk Therapy?
Walk & Talk Therapy is exactly what it sounds like – it combines professional counselling with walking in nature, side by side both literally and metaphorically.
The picturesque space allows you to take a moment to breathe, think, and reflect, in an environment full of sights, sounds and smells that rejuvenate the soul. You set the pace; whether you want a relaxing stroll, a faster paced walk or even to simply sit on a bench it is entirely up to you.
What are the benefits?
- Offers a safer face to face experience, particularly in these COVID times.
- Can reduce anxiety – many find sitting opposite a counsellor in an office too daunting.
- Can improve your health and energy levels, so you sleep better and feel more energetic.
- Can be meditative and grounding.
- Can help to release tension and stimulates new thoughts and ideas.
- Activates both the right and left hemispheres of the brain (bilateral stimulation) i.e. logical rational thinking as well as the feelings and creative side.
- Walking symbolises moving forward and is therefore ideal for anyone feeling stuck or going through life transitions.
The first session
Our first session will be either on zoom or sitting together in a room or on a bench to agree on how we will work together. This will include the type of walk, medical conditions, where we will meet, how we’ll handle meeting others, contingency plans, etc. We will also discuss what has brought you to counselling and you want to get out of our sessions. If you are happy to continue, we will arrange where to meet and walk for the first Walk & Talk session.
We can either use the same location each week or change it up! We’ll decide on a weekly basis depending on preferences, weather conditions, health conditions. We may have to change our plans nearer to the time if conditions change dramatically. When we are unable to meet outside, we may be able to rearrange for a different day or to use Zoom instead.